Announcing the 2013 Klaczynski Open
Two-time World Champion Jason Klaczynski will be hosting the world’s first major unsanctioned Pokemon TCG event this summer along with other high-profile Pokemon TCG players. The tournament will take place from August 31st to September 1st in Chicago, Illinois and will feature over 25 booster boxes, trophies, and more as prizes. Full details and event registration are available here.
The Klaczynski Open will consist of two separate, side-by-side tournaments:
- Main Event: Open to players of all ages
- 14 & under Event: Open only to players aged 14 & under
Some exciting elements of the event include:
- Best 2-of-3 Swiss Rounds (featuring a 75 minute + 3 turn time limit)
- Over 25 Booster boxes and more as prizes!
- 6 Booster Boxes to the Main Event winner!
- A custom die to all entrants
- On-stage Top 8 matches projected to jumbo screen
- Live Stream from Kyle “Pooka” Sucevich and The Top Cut
- Custom 1st Place trophies to winners of both events
- Seating for over 300 players
- Win-a-box and Draft Side Events on both days
- Foreign versions of Tropical Beach permitted in decks
- Online deck registration
- Online pairings
- Earlybird Registration, Main Event: $30 ($40 after July 15)
- Earlybird Registration, 14 & Under Event: $20 ($30 after July 15)
While its unlikely many Australians will travel to this event, it will be very interesting to see how the event goes as a model for future unsanctioned events. The existence of large unsanctioned PTCG tournaments is a huge step for the game and a sign of growth. Would you attend a similar event if one was held in Australia?